The food retailer, which installed the first transcritical CO2 system in a U.S. supermarket, is now

The food retailer, which installed the first transcritical CO2 system in a U.S. supermarket, is now deploying one of the first in a U.S. retail warehouse. Hannaford, a Scarborough, Maine (U.S.)-based diviion of Ahold Delhaize, has the distinction of installing the first transcritical CO2 booster refrigeration in a U.S. supermarket, at a store in Turner, Maine, in July 2013. Now, Hannaford is about to become one of the first U.S. grocers to employ a transcritical CO2 system in a refrigerated warehouse. (The first known to do so was Angelo Caputo’s Fresh Markets, which installed a transcritical system at a warehouse/commissary in Carol Stream, Illinois, U.S., also in July 2013; a store was later added to that facility; see “In Love with CO2,” Accelerate America, June 2015.) Hannaford’s CO2 warehouse, located in Shodack Landing, New York (U.S.) – 20 miles east of Albany, New York – also contains one of the world’s largest refrigerated spaces (250,000ft2/23,226m2) to use a transcritical system, supplied by Quebec, Canada- based Carnot Refrigeration. The warehouse supplies 85 of Hannaford’s approximately 190 stores in New York, New Hampshire, Vermont and Massachusetts. Harrison Horni...

Firefighters and hazmat crews respond to fire inside cold storage area at Lubrizol plant

AVON LAKE, Ohio — The Avon Lake Fire Department responded to Lubrizol Corporation, 550 Moore Road, for reports of a fire in the facility’s cold storage area on Thursday night. Fire officials received a report of a fire at around 10:30 p.m. in the cold storage area, about the size of a large house freezer, located inside a concrete building, according to Avon Lake fire. Thursday night an onsite freezer used to store chemicals at Lubrizol’s plant in Avon Lake overheated. This triggered a response from local emergency responders who have cleared the site for operations. This incident was contained to one area of the site with no exposed flames, no external impact and no injuries. Normal operations have resumed as we continue to look into the cause of the incident. Officials are still investigating what ignited inside the cooler. There were no chemicals released from the storage area. Once the chemical in the area was ignited and once it started reacting, firefighters had to keep it cool at that point, as there wasn’t much else they could do, according to Avon Lake fire. The fire scene was cleared at around 2:30 a.m. on Friday. It’s unclear at this time what start...